On Saturday, November 3, 2012 the BIA hosted a very successful inaugural Business & Community Excellence Awards. The night was a huge success with over 180 attendees.
In 5 categories we had 34 nominations. With a surprise the judges made a new award category, Outstanding BIA Champion, in recognition of an individual whose name appeared in almost every category as nominee. Jeff Roy, of P.A. Roy Insurance and Chair of Clinton and Central Huron BIA “has continually gone above the call of duty as a BIA member and community champion. Their commitment and leadership style has contributed significantly in re-energizing the BIA enough to get it from where it was two or three years ago to celebrating a series of successful initiatives, charting exciting new directions and planning for a great future.” said judge, Mike Pullen, Economic Development Office, Huron County.
Jeff was thoroughly surprised as he accepted the award. “I didn’t even know there was a category like this. I’m just kind of in awe, I didn’t have a speech prepared so I’m kind of caught flat-footed on this.” said Jeff.
The following is the list of other winners:
- Healthy Community, which is dedicated to a community member, community organization or business that goes the extra mile to get involved in programs, activities or business that makes the Municipality of Central Huron a healthier, more active, environmentally friendly community to live, work and play: Clinton Kinsmen
- Retail, Trade and Professional is to reward the efforts and successes of a business operating as a retail merchant, trade or professional business in Central Huron: Moore’s Foodland
- Lifetime Achievement will be given to a business owner who has operated their business more than 15 years within the Municipality of Central Huron with exceptional operational success, providing leadership, mentorship and motivation to other entrepreneurs in this community: Bill Fleming (posthumously)
- Citizen of the Year goes to an employee and/or community member who goes beyond their usual role, who is community-minded, and known for their support, commitment and dedication to making Central Huron a more vibrant, prosperous and welcoming community: Steve Campbell
- Business of the Year recognizes a Central Huron business that demonstrates excellence in a number of areas, including particular skill in taking their business forward and support of the local community while demonstrating economic sustainability: Lavis Construction Co. Ltd.